Sunday, November 9, 2008

Long Overdue Update

Alright already! I know it's been forever in a day since I've updated. I actually do have quite a bit to cover, so I'll be splitting it up into separate posts.

On a less technical note I have started to learn a new game recommended by a friend. So what if this new game is almost 4,ooo years old. It's still new to me. Go looks simple enough, but don't let it fool you. It's been said to be the ultimate game. Many of the rules and techniques are said to match up to real life philosophy. Even though I just heard of this very attractive game just this week, I found out that it's following rivals and often surpasses that of chess.


Intriqued yet? Want to find out more? There are thousands of websites available to get everything from hints and lessons to national organizations. In the printed media format, I would reccommend Learn to Play Go by Good Move Press. Here's an exerpt:
Imagine that God has a house. It's rather large, and one of it's remarkable aspects is that it contains the best examples of everything you can think of - the best chairs and tables, artworks, books, smells, all in perfectly proportioned rooms of an ideal size. If you were visiting for the evening, you might walk through the front doors and leave your coat in the front closet to your left. The closet has a top shelf, and if you looked closely, in the far corner tucked away you might find a Go set.
There are many websites you can play Go for free and a few good games you can download. I tried a few out on Ubuntu and found I like Quarry best of all. Unfortunatly, it's not being maintained, but you can still download it from the Ubuntu repositroies. There is a slight issue with setting up the engine used to play against the computer but it's easily fixed. Try it out and maybe we can arrange a game sometime.

No comments: